Friday, November 20, 2015

Times Square

Times Square is a major commercial intersection and neighborhood in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, at the junction of Broadway and Seventh Avenue, and stretching from West 42nd to West 47th Streets.


It is also very close to where I work, currently.  One day I was passing by, and saw a drummer.




Here is an image of Times Square during the day.  I think it has a completely different vibe during the day.  At night it looks jazzy and playful; during the day it looks "the day after" a hangover when you are trying to get things done despite the hypersensitivity to noise, people rushing toward you, flashing seizure-inducing lights, and boxes full of stuff stacked precariously atop one another.



Looking at this image reminds me of the landscapes of Lyonel Feininger, a German-American Expressionist.  However, I think there was definitely a landscape cubism about him.  I spend hours pouring over his images in undergrad.  I would definitely say, he is one of my heroes.  His images look "playful" for lack of a better word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment